> Well, async cannot take advantage of multi-processor systems.
> Also for CGI and ISAPI execution, threads seem to be a better
> way. And all the commercial Web servers I know such as IIS
> and Apache chose it for these reasons.

You are mixing up two factors.

Even on multi-processor system, one CPU is usually enough to handle
connections.  That doesn't prevent you from creating additional threads to
process CGI and ISAPI requests - nobody says that such requests must execute
in the context of the thread handling socket connections.

One of my commercial designs is using this approach and it is working just
great.

Best regards,
Primoz