Hello Eric, hello everyone!

> locks up (threading).  In speaking to Ari Sundholm about this, he mentioned
> that the design of the TICSSocket components is a bit awkward and that this
> sort of thing was bound to happen.  I fully concur with what he has said,
> and feel that a total rewrite of the component set under Linux is required.
> I don't think that many on this mailing list are using TICSSocket, or we
> probably would have seen this issue raise it's head in a bigger way.  I
> however have a product that is contracted to work under Windows and under
> Linux and I must move forward on this now.  I cannot delay any further
> waiting for this to be addressed.

IIRC the reason for the awkwardness was the assumption that async
sockets don't exist in Linux (which is simply untrue AFAIK - or am I on
crack?) and/or the lack of a messaging system such as in Windows.
Therefore an elaborate threaded message passing system was built - with
a huge number of subtle as well as obvious bugs (which haven't been
debugged and fixed due to my laziness during my scarce free time). I
think a completely new approach has to be taken, but I will have to do
some reading and thinking to be of any substantial help regarding
design. Unfortunately, I have quite serious time problems at the moment
due to moving to Japan at the end of September.

> Therefore, I would like to re-develop the core component (TWSocket) set
> under the Linux platform using Kylix 3.  The intention is to build a version
> of the core components that is fully compatibly (from an interface
> perspective anyway) with TWSocket and then to donate it back to this forum.
> Francois, I would want your blessing to do this, and after that has been
> given, will invite all of those who are interested and who can commit time
> on a weekly basis to this project to volunteer to join this project.  If a
> team is not assembled, then I will proceed with this project on my own as I
> am now getting into serious time constraints.

I will try to be available as much as possible in case you need help. I
think I'll be able to squeeze a few hours per week, depending on my
other responsibilities.

What are your time constraints? Are we speaking of weeks or months?

> Regards
>
> Erich Kuba

Best regards,

Ari Sundholm
Author of cddbcomp - THE Delphi component for freedb access
Moderator of freedb forums
freedb core team
Support languages: Finnish, English, German, Swedish
DISCLAIMER: Despite being part of the freedb team I only represent myself
unless otherwise noted. Freedb is in no way responsible for my actions or
opinions.