Bjørnar Nielsen wrote:
>>The SMTP protocol doesn't allow longer lines in any case, so
>>your application could check for a correct length. Also it
>>important to wrap lines that are longer than 74 cups. Means
>>either a blank or tab in front of a continuation line.
>

> I still think there should be check on linelength before copying, it's ok to
> not send all data if breaking rfc but not take down the whole application.

The application should do the check, that was Arlo's point.

> Should also subject be split into continuation-lines if longer than 74 cups
> (cups=chars?)? Outlook does not seem to do this with the subject.

Outlook *does* indeed break long subject lines.  Here's an example of a
message I just sent using Outlook 2000:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: This is a very long subject line. This is a very long subject lin
        e. This is a very long subject line. This is a very long subject line.
Th
        is is a very long subject line. This is a very long subject line. This