Hello Markus,

> Okay, exception can be ruled out, the shutdown call is within try /
> except and
> I have a output in the except clause showing the exception. This doesn't
> fire.

There is something wrong that we cannot see. Consider one of your
previous mails:

> - output a debug message to eventlog
> - socket.shutdown(1);
> - output a 2nd message to eventlog
> But: it doesn't even get to the 2nd message!

Unless ShutDown has a deadlock the 2nd message should get called. So
there could be a problem with the sending of message to windows event
log. Maybe the class you use also does need a message pump ? I suggest
to try it simple:

AllocConsole;    // somewhere in dll initialisation
try
  WriteLn('first message');
  Socket.ShutDown(1);
  WriteLn('second message');