Implement your own timeout using a timer.  I think calling abort on the
WSocket should cancel the connection attempt.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Erich Kuba
Sent: 14 September 2006 01:32
To: ICS support mailing
Subject: [twsocket] Interesting connect problem

Hi all,

I have recently noticed a couple of interesting entries in one of my system
logs from a Mail Relay Agent written using the TSMTPCli component, which
raises a few interesting questions.

Firstly here is a small extract from the system log

> 19:26:28 - Connecting to mta1.grp.scd.yahoo.com
> 19:26:47 - Disconnected from mail server - mta1.grp.scd.yahoo.com
> 19:26:47 - Connecting to mta2.grp.scd.yahoo.com
> 19:41:57 - Disconnected from mail server - mta2.grp.scd.yahoo.com
> 19:41:57 - Connecting to mta3.grp.scd.yahoo.com
> 19:57:06 - Disconnected from mail server - mta3.grp.scd.yahoo.com

The line that starts with "Connecting to" is written to the log as the
connect method is called.  The line that starts with "Disconnected from mail
server" is written when the OnSessionClosed event handler is fired.  So you
can see, particularly from the last two lines, it took 16min 9sec to fire
the event handler.

Now, this is NOT a TWSocket problem.  You can reproduce the problem from the
DOS command line with "telnet mta3.grp.scd.yahoo.com 25".  However, it is
important to find a solution to this problem as the relay engine is
effectively being held up by this strange behaviour.  What should be said is
that the fact that the relay engine is even going to mta3.grp.scd.yahoo.com
as a result of spam, so it's possible that the spammer has found this
interesting behaviour, and is exploiting it.

Any suggestions on how I can prevent this behaviour from holding up my
system in the future ??

Cheers

Erich