Hi all,

I'm in the process of writing a small program that needs to determine for
sure whether or not a given domain name exists.

Currently, I'm passing the domain name to WSocket.DNSLookUp, and then
checking the ErrCode in DNSLookupDone as follows:

case ErrCode of
     0 : begin
                {assume domain exists}
          end;
     11001 : begin
                        {assume domain does not exist}
                  end;
     11004 : begin
                          {assume domain does not exist}
                  end;
     else
         begin
                {some error occurred}
         end;
     end;{case}

This seems to work in most cases, although I appreciate that it may fail in
the case of new domains where the info has not yet fully propagated.
However, while using the program the other day I encountered a particular
domain (datingsite.org) for which the program falsely reports that the
domain does not exist. A whois query on the domain name shows that no name
servers are listed for the domain, which, I assume, is the reason for the
false result.

Can anyone suggest a more effective way of determining whether or not a
domain actually exists, regardless of whether or not domain name servers are
listed for a domain?

TIA,

Rob Ashburn.