> I'm looking for good ways to write a device configuration program using
> ICS. The devices to be configured can be configured via Telnet and the
> IP can be assigned via creating some arp entry for it and the first
> packet sent to the device sets its address.
>
> What I'd like to do is:
>
> - set the device address via ARP and then ping the device to
>  check whether the address is set correctly. At least on my home pc I
>  didn't find the ping component...strange. How does it work anyway?

ICS has a TPing component installed by default. It is in ping.pas source
file.

> - then I'd like to have some sort of array which contains all necessary
>  telnet configuration steps, because if something changes in the device
>  I can change my program more flexible/faster. Which telnet component
>  to use? I don't want to show the user the telnet output but might want
>  to have a debug tab or so for me showing it if anything breaks or
>  during development. How to achieve it?

The base component handling the telnet protocol is TTnCnx. TTnCnx has no
user interface at all. Then you have TTnEmulVT which add ansi/vt100 screen
emulation and then you have TTnScript which is TTnEmultVT with some
facilities to automate things like login and others.

TTnEmulVT and TTnScrpti can have their window located on some TTabSheet
which is not displayed except when needed. I wrote a multisession terminal
like that: a TPageControl has one TTabSheet per session. The user see only
one at a time (or none at all) and this doesn't prevent the invisible telnet
sessions to be up and running.

> Unfortunatelly it's not yet documented in the Wiki, I thought to give it
> a start lately by entering the properties of the telnet connection
> component, but obviously it didn't start anybody else on that...

Have a look at TnClient sample program. It is a very basic telnet client
with ansi/vt100.

The author for the freeware multi-tier middleware MidWare