> When do I need, or would I want, to call Shutdown(), and what are the
> ramifications of the different parameters that one can pass it.

You use Shutdown() to initiate a gracefull close of a TCP session.
Shutdown() send the signal to the remote side to close the connection. The
remote side see it as a connection gracefully closed by peer. It should the
close his end of the connection. The peer which initially called SHutdown()
will then receive the connection close signal.

> I see Shutdown(2) in one of the demo apps, but don't know what "2"
> represents.

  { Manifest constants for Shutdown }
  SD_RECEIVE                = 0;
  SD_SEND                   = 1;