You all are giving excellent information in this mailing list, thanks a lot!

I guess my problem is - as you describe - that the component is still active,
even if smtpQuit has been reached within OnRequestDone. I don't currently check
if it's still connected, but I will change it. Errors will be checked and force
to abort the entire mail and write some log entries.

As Arno said earlier, I'd like to have async components because of their
benefits. But in fact, for me it is a sync call, at least for each single mail.
IOW, I've to wait until each particular mail has been finished before I'm
advancing to the next one. So I'm starting with Connect(), let the
OnRequestDone do the background stuff and set a flag if either aborted or quit.
Now I know I've to wait also for not Connected. But what's the correct method
to wait for completion? Currently, I have a loop after calling Connect()
looking like this:

while not FlagDone do begin
  //Application.ProcessMessages;  // Don't know whether or not to use the
message pump here
  Sleep(50);
end;

Any thoughts?