It's better if you use an off-the-shelf xml parser.

This is the first of many "nasties" that you'll encounter.

Also, the delphi support for xml has come a long way in the last few
years so it hardly makes any sense to do your own.

The Delphi xml components provide built in support for either ms-xml
or openxml, so you get a choice.