Hello Markus,

> As it is now I've some thread which gets a message posted from the queue
> when new data is added. It reads the queue then and sends the data via
> the socket. The socket hasn't been created within that thread. I feel
> this is bad design because it doesn't seem to be really reliable (lost
> connection without known reason, AV ...).

Yes because you have to create / destroy the component in the same
thread context as where you use is. However latest versions use a
Critical Section for multithreading, but sitll design is.

> My new idea is now to use a TApplicationEvents and send the notification
> about new answers to the main program itsself (thequeue is within this
> context anyway) and let the main program then send the data. This should
> be doable without CPU hogging/waste of CPU since sending is asynchronous
> anyway when ICS is used. Am I right on this? Would that be better and be
> reliable? Because that seems to be my last big showstopper in that part
> of the application right now.

Yes this is the way to go.

> I'm still using ICS V5.20 or so. I won't upgrade now, maybe later in the
> future but time is pressing...

Version 5.25 is 100% relibale as whell as almost all versions from
TWSocket.

---
Rgds, Wilfried [TeamICS]
http://www.mestdagh.biz