Sounds more like somebody is blocking/intercepting the call
to Connect?
BTW: I do not use any real time AV scanners or other background
security tools, it's my experience that they make more trouble
than they help. Same applies to personal firewalls. They all
hook the API function calls as they like. If they do not hook
correctly the hooked application will fail or even crash. And
especially Kaspersky is known to do ugly things in their drivers
(as I read in a nice analysis from some driver-guru on the internet
a couple of months ago). Unfortunately it's always the poor
application vendor who is blamed :(