Thanks Angus and DZ-Jay also!

Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
>> I'm a little bit at a loss at the moment. I have the following log
>> when trying to open a connection to an SMTP server:
>>
>> <-220 relay.infotn.it - Server ESMTP (Sun Java System Messaging
>> Server 6.2-6.01 (built Apr 3 2006))
>> ->SMTP session connected, error #0
>> ->EHLO GPS_Plus
>> <-250-relay.infotn.it
>> <-250-8BITMIME
>> <-250-PIPELINING
>> <-250-DSN
>> <-250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>> <-250-HELP
>> <-250-XLOOP 887A9C2E9DC36F355DA1AF23F4FAA02
>> <-250-ETRN
>> <-250-N0-SOLICITING
>> <-250 SIZE 0
>> ->AUTH CRAM-MD5
>> <-533 5.7.1 AUTH command is not enabled.
>> --FAILED to login. Killing connection.
>> (this is what I print as a message)
>>
>> --500 Authentication Type could not be determined.
>> (this is the error message of TSmtpCli)
>
> You have the component set-up to authenticate to the SMTP server, when
> it's impossible.  If it was supported, there would be response similar to
> the following:
>
> < 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
>
> You need to set AuthType := smtpAuthAutoSelect (or smtpAuthNone).

Depending on if the user supplies a password or not I set it to one of
these values. It was on smtpAuthAutoSelect, which seems to trigger the
"->AUTH CRAM-MD5" request. So is this a bug of TSmtpCli? Should it send
an AUTH request, if the command is not on the list? What is the default
in this case?

        Veit