Most likely you call Connect while a previous call to Connect
is still in the pipe (some loop, TTimer etc.)?

>  Form1.FTPClient1.Connect(); Log(5, '{hms}: FTP: Connected
> (hopefully)');   //  <--- not actually connected at this point  :(

That's true and the great nature of non-blocking methods.
Connect is asynchron, you should call it only in case a previously
call to Connect returned in OnRequestDone. Also method Connect should
always be enclosed in a try except block since it might raise an
exception.

--
Arno Garrels [TeamICS]