Finally! A very simple bug causing very strange symptoms. I had overridden Destroy in my ClientInstance object and neglected to include a final call to the inherited Destroy.

Arno Garrels wrote:
Mike Lenox wrote:
I am aggressively debugging the application. The root problem at this
point seems to be a server background exception event. ICS sample code
has comments, "Should normally never occur" and "Hoping that server
will still work". But, I am able to make it happen quite often and,
though my handler has "CanClose := False;", the server does not work
after this event.
What causes background exceptions?

For example any unhandled exception raised in one of the event handlers.
However when you debug the application in the IDE those exceptions should
raise, no matter whether OnBgException was assigned or not.

BTW: Make sure that WSocketServer.ClientClass is properly set.
If it is not you will get hard to debug AVs.

Arno Garrels wrote:
Mike Lenox wrote:

That's good information. I am not surprised if the TTimer is mine.
BUT, the issue is still that I only get the error when I have both
ICS components running. This implies that they are somehow
interacting.
Why don't you debug the application? I guess an exception or access
violation is raised, isn't it? The call stack window of the IDE
should contain useful information to track it down. What is the exception
message?
Another debug utility is MadExcept which is AFAIK still available
as a free version for non-commercial use or as a 30-days trial
version. It generates a bug report with call stack information including the
source code line numbers, which you may want to post to this list.
Another great free tool is FastMM in full debug mode.