To: "ICS support mailing" <twsocket@elists.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: [twsocket] FTP Client Delay - take 2

Thanks for all your comments. The FTP server is not mine and cannot be changed so if anything can be changed it has to be in the FTP client.

The polling is not the problem, one LIST command returns a list of items and attributes. The problem is when the server marks every item as changed that client has to download every item to determine if the change is valid.

If it helps, I'll tell you that the FTP client is a teleprompter and the server is the Avid/iNEWS newsroom system.

So it appears that the delay is probably caused by the opening and closing of the data port connection. One thought I have had is that when I was working with Delphi TClientSocket and connecting / disconnecting to the TServerSocket, I found that I could not disconnect and then re-connect without inserting a delay. However if I created an array of TClientSockets and hop on to the next one after each disconnect, I did not need any delay.

Could something like this be done in the FTP client. I haven't yet delved too closely into the source code, but I assume that somewhere it uses the ICS socket for the data channel. Would it work if it were changed to an array of sockets?

Graham

----- Original Message ----- From: "Francois PIETTE" <francois.pie...@skynet.be>