Angus,
I know and have already looked into the code, and even tryed to understand it :)
But as you've mentioned it's not trivial to grab parsing code out of the
component because of lots custom routines used.
And I'm talking of slightly another thing: a standard and native ICS interface
for parsing. For instance:

ftp.Feat() // get feats, determine whether server supports MLST, or MDTM, or
anything related
ftp.GetListing(RemoteDir) -> ftp.List(RemoteDir) -> get listing into
ListingStream -> convert it to ListingStringList -> invoke OnFtpListingParse

not very hard as I see it, but make it easy for others to implement parsing
function.

But of course, merging Magenta's parsing into ICS would be much more helpful
and useful.

--
Anton