Anton S. wrote:
> 2Arno
>
>> Method DnsLookup doesn't require a custom timeout since the
>> underlaying winsock function uses system's DNS lookup timeout. Same
>> for Connect with or without DNS name.
>> And if method Connect is called with a DNS name it performs a
>> blocking DNS lookup while a Built-In timeout won't trigger at all.
> Yes, this is blocking DNS lookup which I want to avoid.

Note that it won't work faster with many calls from different
instances since winsock internally serializes the lookups.
If you need parallel lookups you have to use multiple threads.
In the IPv6 branch I implemented something like that, little demo
exists as well.

> And I dislike
> relying on OS timeouts, maybe it'll be 5 minutes long?

Most likely not, have a look here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc977482%28en-us%29.aspx

>> You can do what ever you like i.e. (from memory):
> Thanks! I'll examine the snipped you provided!
>
>> Listening sockets do not connect so use TimeoutIdle in OnClientCreate
>> event
> Ah, the trick is not using connect timeout! I've got it.

Sorry, I meant that accepted sockets do not call Connect.

> And regarding TIcsTimer, would it work if there's no
> any TWSocket object created yet?

No it requires an owner of type TIcsWndControl or descendant.