> So I am wondering why ICS prefers events when the code is so much
> simpler without them?

ICS does not prefer events, it offers both blocking synchronous and
non-blocking async versions of most high level component methods.

So developers can make their own choice depending on application needs,
instead of being forced to use threads with Indy and Synapse since
otherwise the GUI dies while any request awaits completion.

I generally use blocking methods for client applications that are only
performing one task as a time, and non-blocking for servers which
otherwise potentially need hundreds or thousands of threads.

Angus