Hardly, FIDO BBS did not exist before 1981, The Internet (as we call it
today) was "started" in 1969.  It's just most of the public did not have
access to it.  You either had to have a dial-up (300 baud mind you!)
shell account on a Unix box with one of the first "ISP"s  or have a
student/teacher account with one of the few Universities that were
"wired" to access it.  This was way before the WWW and everything was
text based, no GUIs here.  Been there, Done that, Got the T shirt.