On 8/6/2011 11:37 AM, Arno Garrels wrote:
Francois PIETTE wrote:
Not exactly, the good old Outlook Express has been renamed "Windows
Live Mail". It has a new "ribon tool bar" and slightly different
folder treeview, but it is still Outlook Express and it is still
free. Not delivered with Win7 itself, you have to download it. It is
able to import email from previous versions.

Does it actually include plain SMTP and NNTP? I had the impression from
the description that it is only some kind of strange webmail client with
built-in spy.
Fortunately there's the free Thunderbird for SMTP and NNTP available as well.

After using OE for ages, I tried both Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird for a while. I settled on Thunderbird because it retains more of the elements from OE that I liked, along with some nice additions like tabs and more settings that apply to individual accounts instead of global.