I then need to be able to send HTTP messages (xml documents) back from
the server to the client periodically
or as and when I need to, down the already open connection. The client
still needs to be able to respond to these
messages.

Since you seems to control both client and server side, I wonder why you need to use HTTP protocol. Why don't you design your own custom protocol tailored to fit your needs ? Of course, your own protocol may use port 80 if it is what is open.

--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be