> I set the Host to be smtp.xyz.com, AuthType: SMTPAuthLogin,  then
> call Connect().
> The password is set later, which is wrong, but when I set it before
> Connect(), it would not connect.

Look at OverbyteIcsMailSnd1.pas, you set the properties UserName,
Password and AuthType to smtpAuthAutoSelect, then call the Open method
(which calls Connect, Helo/Ehlo then Auth)) and all the authenticiation
is handled automatically.

You can also look at Magenta Systems Mail Queue Component which
simplifies email and does automatic retries against multiple SMTP servers,
to ensure email does go.

http://www.magsys.co.uk/delphi/magics.asp

Angus