> Could it be some kind of proxy at the clients end ?
>
> I've just tried connecting without using passivemode on my PC and I
> don't get a rejection as you can see from the logs below.

If the FTP server accepts your non-passive connection, that refused message
would not appear to be server generated, so yes it looks like the client's NAT
router or firewall is blocking workable FTP.

My Sonicwalls do monitor FTP connections and drop them if they find something
they don't like, that once happened several gigs into a virtual disk download
when it found a password scanner tool it did not like and dropped the data
connection.

Such problems with FTP are most auto updaters use HTTP <g>