> This is totally expected, the only GMail accepts POP connections
> of this type is if you allow "less secure apps".

My password is strong 15 characters, but I still get SMTP and POP3
access with this turned off.

> If you don't want to enable this, you MUST implement two factor
> authentication according to Google standards, and this is not for
> the faint hearted (on top of being proprietary)

Is that OAUTH or a variant as listed in the capabilities list?  Or
something different?

One or more of those has been on my wish list for a long time, useful
for other cloud services as well.  Someone else did an ICS version a
while back, but it never got integrated into ICS.

Angus