Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
This is totally expected, the only GMail accepts POP connections
of this type is if you allow "less secure apps".
My password is strong 15 characters, but I still get SMTP and POP3
access with this turned off.
Yes, mine was too, but at some point in time it started telling me "you need to activate less secure access". Don't know why though.

If you don't want to enable this, you MUST implement two factor
authentication according to Google standards, and this is not for
the faint hearted (on top of being proprietary)
Is that OAUTH or a variant as listed in the capabilities list?  Or
something different?
Yes, that's it.