From: TWSocket [mailto:twsocket-boun...@lists.elists.org] On Behalf Of Angus
Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 9:03 PM
To: twsocket@lists.elists.org
Subject: Re: [twsocket] Pop3 & IMap Server ?

>   Why not. It will give me ideas to use it to port/make an IMAP4
> Server and see how it handles the commands.

Emailed separately.  It will not really help with IMAP4 which is a much more
complex protocol than POP3, with database type requirements on the server,
so it knows what has been download and not, etc.

> The only puzzle for me is how to get and handle the commands from the
> server.

Client/server commands are simple stuff, you can use the ICS SocketServer
component or my TMagIpLog component which allows you to send and receive
text commands.  Both handle SSL which the old POP3 component does not.

https://www.magsys.co.uk/delphi/magics.asp

Both POP3 and IMAP4 need a message store and database to it, to actually
save all the messages and selectively retrieve them, in the simplest case
one file per message.

When I updated an old SMTP server to become the current ICS SMTP Server I
had planned to do POP3 as well, since both are needed for a real mail
server, but never found the spare time.

Angus