Hey there,

> Many thanks for the replies even though all they really showed was
> that my email was difficult to understand.

> I was interested in the space **between** the blocks rather than
> within them.

> I've been using a macro processor to get some common input for html
> and lout for tables. The asdf and qwer were actually tables created
> in two different ways so that I could compare the results. I was
> surprised when they resulted in one block of text even though
> several blank lines intervened between the blocks; hence my email.

Ah, I think I see now. Then your easiest solution would be to use
this rule:

%!postproc: @@ <BR>

And then type your paragraphs the way you did before, with this
change:

'''
asdf
'''
@@
@@
'''
qwer
'''

Or, if you prefer it this way (whichever is easier for you to work
recognize when editing it and trying to figure out the layout from
the markup):

'''
asdf
'''