Hello,

every day I discover new cool applications from the Open-Source community, but
it's often that I think they miss features for being txt2tags-friendly. It can
be for example text processor without txt2tags syntax highlight, or php/wiki
applications without txt2tags support.

Here is a list of some of those apps:

- FocusWriter: http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/
- Google Etherpad: http://etherpad.org/
- Wikka: http://wikkawiki.org/

There could / should also be support for txt2tags in popular blogging tools /
CMS, such as Wordpress, Drupal etc.

With the current "WikiWar", everyone believes one own syntax is the best so
it's difficult to find a consensus. When Diaspora designed their formatting
rules, they didn't think to txt2tags. Instead they used the not logical
*italic*, **bold**:
http://diasporial.com/tutorials/formatting-text

With my limited knowledge in programming languages, I've worked a bit on the
integration of txt2tags into some other projects, but it could be much more
improved :

- Kate (syntax highlighter)
- Geany (scintilla)
- PmWiki: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Txt2tags

Some people have also designed cool tools:
- Plone: http://plone.org/products/collective.transform.txt2tags
- Tiddlywiki: http://wiki.txt2tags.org/index.php/Main/TiddlywikiPlugin

For FocusWriter and Etherpad, I'd really like to be able to get the "rich" edit
feature with txt2tags syntax instead. I've opened a request on Etherpad
tracker: https://github.com/ether/pad/issues/271

And I'd really like to get a decent navigation within headings (titles) when
editing text and designing documents, there is such a navigation with geany,
but no folding, and there is the folding but not the navigation with kate.

For Android phone, there is no support for the txt2tags syntax. I think the
opensource Jota Editor would be a good candidate for this:
https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.sblo.pandora.jota

Here are some additional ideas for helping the use of txt2tags:

1/
I know the good widespread of markdown is also because of its various
implementations (I'm talking about the syntax, not about extra features such as
postproc, macros and such)
Especially useful is the php implementation
(http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/) which apparently make it available
without modifications into:

- Drupal: http://drupal.org/project/markdown
- PmWiki: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarkdownMarkupExtension
- Wordpress:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/markdown-for-wordpress-and-bbpress/

Such a tool would be a killer feature for the txt2tags syntax!

I don't think I could personally write this php module, but it could be a great
project (and probably not that difficult) for anyone fluent in php :)

2/
When using php and web applications, it can be daunting for newcomers and
average users to read and write wiki code, even for simple and logical syntax
such as the txt2tags one (it's the general feedback I've got, unfortunately)

Formatting tools such as http://etxt2tags.appspot.com/ can help, but the wiki
syntax is still visible, and the output formating is not. Some wysiwyg can be
utterly annoying when they compose bad html (especially in CMS), but they can
be useful as well. The txt2tags syntax, being simple and light, wouldn't be
diverted like the html is, so it could be a great addition to be able to format
and display wysiwyg as a helping tool.

I've seen the roundcube webmail (http://roundcube.net) is embedding such a
tool, and it's easy to use.

Rednotebook is using a trick I like the most: it's mixing the wiki syntax (it
remains educational for people so they can slowly learn the code) with a
wysiwyg-like display, so people understand better the code:

http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

The wiki code is even greyed so it won't interfere too much with the display,
yet it remains visible.

In the kate and geany txt editors, it looks a bit like this
(http://uploads.siteduzero.com/files/240001_241000/240405.png)

It would be really useful for web forms (in addition to the first point), but I
don't know how it can be possible to implement this.