On Jul 16, 2008, at 7:12 PM, Scott Likens wrote:
Are you really saying you can't compare a Ruby app with a LAMP app? That's ridiculous. How else can someone decide between Typo and MT and WP and etc?

No, you're just wrong. It makes PERFECT sense to compare the experience of setting up and using Application X with that of using Application Y if both X and Y are competitors in the same market (i.e., blogging software).

As I said above, you are doing nothing useful in this argument. Stop it. If you care that much passionately, then run Wordpress. The argument is self defeating, because you are comparing apples to pears. You can try this argument on a Django list and see how far you get.

The problem here, Scott, is that you're the one who's arguing. I stated an uncontroversial position -- RoR apps are harder to deploy than traditional LAMP apps -- and you've gone all apoplectic with fanboy protestations that, frankly, make no sense.

Look: I don't care. It's absolutely not important to me today, and I'm 100% done with you. I have problems with Typo that Fred says he's working on, and I appreciate that. What I do NOT appreciate is your incessant browbeating and bombastic Ruby boosterism.

Why on earth would you need to run a second web server? That seems like a really bad idea, frankly, hence my annoyance that the most obvious question (which boils down to "WTF?", essentially) isn't addressed.

Then I suggest you to take that torch up with the Mongrel Mailing list and ask them.

If it's something that's considered a common part of a Typo install, then the Typo docs need to address it because it's out of the ordinary for weblogging software.

To Quote from http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/UnderstandingMigrations

I'll read this later. I am refreshed, however, that you've provided an apparently useful link.

In essence, your database has a 'version' number in it, and if someone adds a new model, or changes a model a migration is also made. So that you can run 'rake db:migrate' to ensure your database is "up to date" and able to do what the new version intends to do.

Why is this better than just dropping the SQLite file into the tree after your re-install? (Hypothetically; I haven't tried it.)

Of course you'll have to reinstall your plugins and themes.

!!!!

To put it mildly, that's a bit bizarre and very unfriendly to the user.

With the exception of plugins and themes, I find the upgrade process very relaxing and totally capable.

It's plugins and theme reinstallation I find bizarre.

I believe as a standard practice

Maybe for Typo. Not for anything else I use.

Remind me not to hire you as a Systems Administrator.

Based on my exposure to you here, it seems astoundingly unlikely you'll ever be in a position to hire anyone with my resume.

My reference here is to the need to reinstall plugins and themes, not standard pre-patch/pre-upgrade backups. In my career so far, my experience is much more defined by my own refusal to hire doctrinaire platform zealots.

Not to mention that is part of the Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance Matrix (http://www.crcdataprotection.com/solutions/sox_compliance.asp )

SarBox is so often a part of blog culture.

Because clearly I don't get it, and won't get it.

This, at least, is abundantly clear.

<plonk>

Chet Farmer
----
"When you've got an RV, a jet pack, and a monkey you really don't need much actual content" - KS