Hey there.

The very best bet I have: Solr!

Like Jigal told you: You can use hosted Solr. Search the newsgroup for Oliviers
offer if you want. As far as I know, it's a fair price. I don't know about
customizing cores and stuff, but I guess Olivier runs the EXT:Solr schema. So
this should be really fine.

Or you could try Sphinx search.

A couple of days ago, Elmar asked Dmitry about his framework project. Dmitrys
reply contained the following:
> The site includes highly customized forums, mail, photo galleries, blogs for
> people, news, search (using Sphinx engine), favorites, etc. In other words,
> it is an active community portal.

You could ask Dmitry about his Sphinx engine integration.

I tried Sphinx myself a view weeks ago, but the lag of nice and easy write
support out of PHP applications made me turn to a full blown Solr based on
Jetty. But the reason for this mainly was that I wanted to use the index itself
as the one and only persistence layer, so having only rudimentary and not
reliable write support here was a complete no-go for me. If you only want to
improve search speed, the automated "MySQL backend to Sphinx" mechanism (Sphinx
can read its source data out of a given MySQL table of view or select query)
might be perfectly fine for you.

So, maybe Dmitry reads here and is in mood to tell us a little about his Sphinx
setup.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schuler
Web-Entwickler

Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0
E-Mail: stephan.schu...@netlogix.de
Website: media.netlogix.de

- --
netlogix GmbH & Co. KG
IT-Services | IT-Training | Media
Andernacher Straße 53 | 90411 Nürnberg
Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0 | Fax: +49 (911) 539909 - 99
E-Mail: i...@netlogix.de | Internet: http://www.netlogix.de

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG ist eingetragen am Amtsgericht Nürnberg (HRA 13338)
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: netlogix Verwaltungs GmbH (HRB 20634)
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 233472254
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Buchta, Matthias Schmidt