We have added
https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/commit/f0c81c482a6a280c26d3369e925e1a0e60c0fd9e
to the current CLDR release's maintenance branch, but we're not currently
planning a release for it. openjdk could cherry-pick that.

With this commit, Edmonton at -6 will display as MDT.

On Tue, 21 Jul 2026 at 22:31, Paul Eggert via tz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2026-07-20 22:28, sorav.sahu--- via tz wrote:
> > I updated the tzdata2026c patch in my openjdk 11.0.31 2026-04-21 LTS.
> However, when I ran the jShell commands to check the abbreviation, it still
> shows MST and MDT both. Are we expecting a new patch for the same? as
> offset is -06:00 but it shows MST.
>
> I assume you're talking about the America/Edmonton timezone. Updating to
> TZDB 2026c should mean that America/Edmonton will be at -06 for the
> indefinite future, so if you're seeing -06 for current and future (i.e.,
> winter) timestamps your UTC offsets should be good.
>
> For time zone abbreviations like "MST" and "MDT", OpenJDK uses CLDR
> which has not yet been updated for America/Edmonton. As I understand it,
> CLDR runs on a 6-month release cycle and if the past is a guide their
> next release should arrive late October. Until then you may see
> confusing or inaccurate time zone abbreviations and localizations for
> America/Edmonton. Although we've been in contact with the CLDR folks, I
> don't know what they're doing about Edmonton. You can try contacting
> them yourself by following the instructions in
> <https://cldr.unicode.org/requesting_changes>.
>
> In this period of confusion I suggest avoiding abbreviations like "MST"
> as they are becoming ambiguous. Use numeric offsets like "-06" instead.
> If you do that, it won't matter what TZDB and CLDR do about the
> abbreviations.
>

Reply via email to