On 2026-07-29 02:26 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
On 2026-07-29 05:38, Brooks Harris wrote:
Seems to me all you need to do is stop DST in "US":
Rule US 2007 2027 - Mar Sun>=8 2:00 1:00 D
Rule US 2007 max - Nov Sun>=1 2:00 0 S
Far as I can see this would propagate through most all USA time
zones, wouldn't it?
Yes it would propagate, though would be several issues:
* That aptch assumes the bill would be amended to take practical
effect in November 2027, whereas speculative patch takes the bill
as-is and so has practical effect November 2026.
* If that's the only patch, it would fail starting November 2027
because it would put New York at -05 when it should be -04. (Or maybe
you were assuming the US would go back to permanent standard time?
That's not in the bill.)
* That patch would call post-change -05 "EST" which would be
problematic in a country where eastern standard time would be -04.
Calling -04 "EST" would be also be problematic as much software and
some Internet standards say "EST" means -05, and the standards won't
change. At least at first it'd be less confusing to call -04 "-04".
* That patch wouldn't affect neighbors also likely to follow suit,
neighbors like Canada and Mexico. We don't know which neighbors would
do so; the speculative patch assumes they'll all follow suit.
Hi Paul,
I was just asking if "permanent standard time" was easier than
"permanent daylight time", especially as per the Sunshine Protection
bill, which I was ignoring for this question. I meant hypothetically
changing directly from current practice to "permanent standard time",
so for America/New_York this would be -05 and EST. I'd used "2027" as a
hypothetical start date.
This may not be worth spending time on now. However there is the
H.R.9638 - Sunshine for Our Kids Act of 2026
https://www.congress.gov/bill/119th-congress/house-bill/9638
which conceivably could come back into play if the Sunshine Protection
bill were to fail.