On 2026-07-29 03:56 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
On 2026-07-29 12:41, Brooks Harris wrote:
I meant hypothetically changing directly from current practice to  "permanent standard time", so for America/New_York this would be -05 and EST. I'd used "2027" as a hypothetical start date.

Yes, it would be much easier to make that change, than to make the SPECULATIVE change. It would mean we needn't change abbreviations; we could just change the Rule lines as you stated, along with Rule lines for Canada etc. assuming they follow suit.
Thanks. That was my question.

I'm not taking any bets on what Congress may or may not do.
I hope the Sunshine Protection bill fails not only because it's problematic for TzDb but also because it creates the "kids in the dark morning" problem which is was the reason the 1973/1974 "DST experiment" was reversed. Seems to me like that could happen again.

Reply via email to