“everyone has named their timezones off of their province or territory name.” 
is a bit concerning. I wonder why the provinces are deciding to name their 
timezone after their province or territory and what problem that naming 
convention is intended to solve?

As someone who lives in North America, I don't have all the Canadian provinces 
timezones memorized (nor the US states). If each province has an independently 
named timezone, it would effectively mean that I would need to look up the 
GMT/UTC offset for every province if have a reason to interact with them (or 
travel there for vacation).

Maybe we're moving in a direction where timezone display names will become less 
important and more people in North America will decide to memorize the GMT/UTC 
offsets instead so they can calculate the difference between their timezone and 
the other one? (For context, right now when I ask random people I'm interacting 
(e.g. my dental hygienist, cashier, etc.) with what the time difference from 
GMT/UTC is, most people don't know since it's not a part of their daily life. 
They tend only memorize the time difference between their time and other places 
that they care about.)

Reply via email to