> Will this month's new CLDR stick with the name "Mountain Daylight Time"
> for Alberta's timekeeping, and will it allow "Mountain Time" as a
> generic name for this new timekeeping even though Alberta doesn't have
> alternatives for summer and winter?

This is a problem that already exists with America/Phoenix. I think ICU
uses "Mountain Standard Time" for Arizona's generic time, which makes sense
but is not what CLDR specifies. It would make sense to do the same for
permanent-DST zones, and to spec that.

> And what will CLDR do for "Mountain
> Standard Time" in Alberta - will that string be forbidden in Alberta, or
> never generated? Or am I misreading the tables again?

I think this question is about parsing, which I don't know the answer to.
Parsing localized time zone names is generally not a good idea.

On Wed, 7 Oct 2026 at 04:52, Steven R. Loomis <[email protected]> wrote:

> See also
> https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/dev/tr35-dates.html#Using_Time_Zone_Names
>
> As to “Alberta time”,  outside of where local abbreviations are available,
> the generic location name may be used.   Examples at
> https://st.unicode.org/cldr-apps/v#r_zones/da// (These are examples, not
> production data). “ Edmonton-tid” which I think is “Edmonton time”
>
> -s
>
> Enviado desde mi iPad
>
> El oct 6, 2026, a la(s) 6:44 p.m., Paul Eggert via tz <[email protected]>
> escribió:
>
> On 2026-10-06 12:19, Robert Bastian wrote:
>
> The changes linked above effectively ignore TZDB's decision to model these
>
> changes as new standard times.
>
>
> Thanks for explaining. Some more comments plus a couple of questions.
>
> As I understand it, after November 1 neither CLDR nor TZDB will use the
> English-language abbreviations suggested by the respective regional
> governments. For the new timekeeping we have:
>
>  0   1   2   3
> -07 MST PDT PCT America/Vancouver
> -06 CST MDT ABT America/Edmonton
> -06 CST MDT ??? America/Inuvik
> -05 EST CDT MBT America/Winnipeg
>
> where column 0 is the UT offset, column 1 is the abbreviation that TZDB
> will use, column 2 is what CLDR will use, and column 3 is what the
> respective governments suggest (NWT does not suggest so I listed "???".)
>
> This disagreement is unfortunate but I don't see a simple solution other
> than maybe just going with column 0 in TZDB for now. Although columns 1 and
> 2 are both compatible with a lot of existing software and standards (e.g.,
> Internet RFC 5322), neither column is likely to match what people will say;
> and although column 3 attempts to avoid that confusion it is at the expense
> of compatibility and it regionalizes abbreviations in a way that will
> likely have significant problems.
>
> I don't see anything in bleeding-edge CLDR mentioning "ABT" or "Alberta
> Time", or similarly for the other government-suggested abbreviations or
> names, so it looks like CLDR is also holding off on column 3 for now. Will
> this month's new CLDR stick with the name "Mountain Daylight Time" for
> Alberta's timekeeping, and will it allow "Mountain Time" as a generic name
> for this new timekeeping even though Alberta doesn't have alternatives for
> summer and winter? And what will CLDR do for "Mountain Standard Time" in
> Alberta - will that string be forbidden in Alberta, or never generated? Or
> am I misreading the tables again?
>
> Also, it seems the phrase "Pacific Time" is uniquely problematic here, as
> it exactly matches the legal name for -07 in BC whereas CLDR uses it as a
> generic name for both -08 and -07. We won't have this problem with
> "Manitoba Time" and "Alberta Time", though we will have other problems.
>
>

Reply via email to