On 2026-10-03 14:00, Mark Davis Ⓤ via tz wrote:
It would be terminally confusing for speakers of English, for example, to have "13 October 2026 14:30 Pacific Time" mean two different UTC times in different countries.
Agreed, and I am looking forward (if that is the right phrase...) to considerable confusion about naming and abbreviations next month.
What are CLDR's plans for time zone names and abbreviations for America/Vancouver, America/Edmonton, America/Winnipeg, and America/Inuvik for the CLDR release planned for later this month? I looked for recent updates in the CLDR public repository and found only the following, which don't match my expectations as they seem to hardwire previous timekeeping practice, not the timekeeping that starts next month.
Evidently I'm missing something. It'd be helpful to know the plans (at least for American English) as I imagine people will be asking on the tz list about this.
<https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/commit/016a645a70ce48e050dba145dbf8384061fb564b> (2026-09-29) changes America/Winnipeg to use stdOffset="-06" dstOffset="-05".
<https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/commit/7b1090ada749eb29d85d64bfb6c1952671d4b1f5> (2026-09-18) changes America/Inuvik to use stdOffset="-07" dstOffset="-06".
<https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/commit/d18f9652beadcec10ff40d71556e728266d0cf07> (2026-07-08) changes America/Edmonton to use stdOffset="-07" dstOffset="-06".
<https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/commit/c8babf10d858e413b977425efbff3b746bdab294> (2026-03-07) changes America/Vancouver to use stdOffset="-08" dstOffset="-07".
