Hi Heinrich,

On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 at 18:34, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.g...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 11/15/23 17:23, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> > On 11/15/23 16:50, Simon Glass wrote:
> >> Hi Heinrich,

> >> Are you able to test this? With your better knowledge of EFI you might
> >> be able to figure out something else that is going on. But in my case
> >> it causes some memory to be freed (perhaps the memory holding the EFI
> >> app?), which is then overwritten by something else being malloc()'d,
> >
> > The memory for the EFI app is not assigned via malloc(). It is allocated
> > by AllocatedPages().
> >
> > Reading "some memory freed" does not give me confidence that the problem
> > is sufficiently analyzed.
> >
> >> so the boot hangs. It is hard to see what is going on after the app
> >> starts.
> >>
> >> This patch was sent almost two months ago and fixes a real bug. The
> >> first few versions attracted no comment now it is being blocked
> >> because you don't understand how it fixes anything.
> >
> > Do you understand why unbinding the devices causes the problem?
> >

> >> I can get the hardware up again and try this but it will take a while.
> >
> > Digging a bit deeper seems to be the right approach.
>
> Re: bug - bootflow: grub efi crashes when bootflow selected explicitly
> https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/CAHc5_t1H39YV=hssa7tcedzrctax+zibkx1vsuwew-raol9...@mail.gmail.com/
>
> points to a probable root cause:
>
> https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/boot/bootflow.c#L470
> free(bflow->buf)
>
> In the EFI boot bflow->buf points to $kernel_addr_r which never was
> allocated and therefore must not be freed.

Yes, this is the root cause of the crash.

However, this patch should still be applied. I can update the commit
message if you like.

Freeing the FDT and kernel before booting them is just not safe,
whether EFI or anything else. Freed memory is not guaranteed to hang
around for any length of time. For example, with truetype fonts,
malloc() is called during any console output and will likely corrupt
the images just as they are being booted.

We should leave the devices bound when booting.

Regards,
Simon