Hi Heinrich,

On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 at 19:06, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.g...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 11/16/23 02:42, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi Heinrich,
> >
> > On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 at 18:34, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.g...@gmx.de>
> > wrote:

> >> Re: bug - bootflow: grub efi crashes when bootflow selected explicitly
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/CAHc5_t1H39YV=hssa7tcedzrctax+zibkx1vsuwew-raol9...@mail.gmail.com/
> >>
> >> points to a probable root cause:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/boot/bootflow.c#L470
> >> free(bflow->buf)
> >>
> >> In the EFI boot bflow->buf points to $kernel_addr_r which never was
> >> allocated and therefore must not be freed.
> >
> > Yes, this is the root cause of the crash.
> >
> > However, this patch should still be applied. I can update the commit
> > message if you like.
> >
> > Freeing the FDT and kernel before booting them is just not safe,
> > whether EFI or anything else. Freed memory is not guaranteed to hang
> > around for any length of time. For example, with truetype fonts,
> > malloc() is called during any console output and will likely corrupt
> > the images just as they are being booted.
>
> Please, observe that malloc() and efi_allocate_pages() use completely
> separate parts of the memory.
>
> When reaching ExitBootServices() the memory used by the EFI binary
> (relocated in efi_load_pe()) and for the configuration table with the
> device-tree have been allocated by efi_allocate_pages(). These addresses
> cannot neither allocated by malloc() nor freed with free().

OK...

To my reading, efi_load_pe() pulls the image apart into memory
allocated with efi_allocate_pages(). So that is separate memory? In
any case, it would end up in a 'struct bootflow'.

IMO the EFI memory-allocation functions should be called only when
booting, not before. I do worry about leakage...

[..]

Regards,
Simon