Well, you don't HAVE to convert your files to SQL tables to access them
via SQL.  By default, you should be able to run any SQL statement
against any UniVerse file.  To restrict to select access for one or more
tables, you can use the HS_FILE_ACCESS file.

This is documented in the Using the IBM JDBC Driver for UniData and
UniVerse manual, and maybe elsewhere....  It works for ODBC as well...

If you WANT to convert your files to SQL tables, you should be able to
grant privileges to PUBLIC, rather than individually granting privileges
to each user.

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 00:53, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> * Note: I'm resending this posting as after almost 3 hours my first attempt
> still hasn't appeared back in my inbox.
> --------------------------------------
> Our UniVerse files on our production unix box all have permissions set so
> owner and group both have read & write access.
> Our users are all locked into menus and can only access the files via the
> application programs.
>
> I would like to make one of these files accessible (SELECT only) to the
> outside world via SQL.
>
> If I use CONVERT.SQL to convert the file into a table and then use GRANT to
> set connect & select access to a specific user, that user can then connect &
> perform SQL selects on the file.
>
> BUT - the rest of our users can no longer access the file via regular
> UniVerse commands (LIST statements, BASIC reads and writes, etc).
>
> It looks like I would have to GRANT connect, select, update, delete & insert
> on the table to EVERY regular UniVerse user just so they can continue to
> access this file normally.
>
> Is there a better (ie. easier) way to achieve this?
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> I suppose I could make a copy of the file in question which would only be
> used via SQL, but that would present further complications.
>
> AdrianW
>

> Disclaimer.  This e-mail is private and confidential. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please advise us by return e-mail immediately, and
> delete the e-mail and any attachments without using or disclosing the
> contents in any way. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the
> author, and do not represent those of this company unless this is clearly
> indicated. You should scan this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. This
> company accepts no liability for any direct or indirect damage or loss
> resulting from the use of any attachments to this e-mail.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ---

Geoffrey Mitchell                                           314-684-1062
Programmer/Analyst                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Knights Direct