-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Craig Bennett
Sent: Tuesday, 20 July 2004 12:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] File corruption error, but ON ERROR branch not taken

Hi All,

we have a site which is experiencing file corruption problems (in one
particular file).
The clients are trying to find problems in their SAN etc, and have
created the errlog item in the UV account so we are logging the
"Internal Data Error" messages when the corruption occurs (UV 10.0.7,
AIX 5.1, no details for the SAN). I believe that the client has not
applied APAR IY35927 for AIX as previously suggested on the list,
despite our hope that this may fix the problem. At some point they will
upgrade to UV 10.1, but I don't know when).

Leaving aside the problem underling the corruption, we wanted to try and
catch this error and halt the sytem until the file has been fixed.

We tried testing a copy of the corrupted file:

We wrote this program:
PROGRAM TESTCRPT
OPEN "CRPT" TO CRPT ELSE STOP

READ AREC FROM CRPT,"XXXXX" ON ERROR
        PRINT "ERROR ":STATUS()
        STOP
END ELSE
        PRINT "ELSE"
END
END

I was expecting the ON ERROR clause to be taken, but when we run the
program we see:

RUN PGMS TESTCRPT

   File '/data/TEST/CRPT':

   Computed blink of 0x74617C20 does not match expected blink of 0x0!

   Detected within group starting at address 0x172000!

   Program "TESTCRPT": Line 4, Internal data error.

ELSE

Can anyone tell me why the ON ERROR clause is not taken?
Or suggest another way that we can programmaticaly tell that this error
has occurred?

thanks,

Craig