Wendy Smoak wrote:

> It seems that CNAME is not a popular UniBasic command.
[snip, rearrange]
>   X.CMD = "CNAME filename ":X.ID:',':X.NEW.ID
>   EXECUTE X.CMD

Its an ECL verb isn't it Wendy?

>Is there some history here I'm not aware of, maybe it was unreliable?

I don't think so.  I think it is just a Prime thing that non-primates tend
to distrust.  The PICK TCL syntax for the same action requires a DATA
statement if you want to execute it from BASIC so you wouldn't normally do
it:

DATA X.NEW.ID
EXECUTE "COPY filename ":X.ID

What happens if you get filename wrong? or something else happens, the new
key you've just put on the DATA stack might be taken to mean something else.
It simply isn't a good programatic solution.

Cheers,

Ken