John-
Sounds like the gotcha I ran into a few weeks ago, where the LANG environment variable has to be set to C when compiling and running Java. Unfortunately, changing this breaks other things in RedHat (desktop icons, etc.), so I ended up renaming java and javac and making bash script wrappers for them that set LANG=C.

There is a -D.... flag that can be used to control this, but I really don't understand why it is there at all. Anyone want to explain this to me? For my situation, I never got things fully resolved (my Java source is being compiled dynamically under Tomcat and Axis) and had to go with a tab delimiter instead of @VM. BTW, this problem only showed up when I passed the data to a UD subroutine, not when the Java program handled returning @VM data on its own.

HTH,
David Beahm

John Hester wrote:
I'm in the process of trying to get UOJ working from a WebSphere application server on RH AS 3 to a UV 10.1.1 server also on RH AS 3. I'm running into an issue with multivalues not being returned correctly by the getArg method. When I run the java application within the development server on my XP Pro desktop it works fine - getArg returns the following for a multivalued field with 3 multivalues:

81y21y40

(y is representing the @VM char)

When I call UV from the linux server, getArg returns the following for the same field:

8110

It's as if the @VM character and the following digit are being seen as some sort of control sequence and discarded. I have a log file in UV capturing all the arguments being sent back to UOJ, and the log is identical for both clients. I've verified that asjava.zip is the same on all machines, and it's the one that came with UV 10.1.1. Anyone else run into this issue, and if so, is there a fix? I'm also opening a ticket in techconnect.

TIA,
John