David Beahm wrote:

John-
Sounds like the gotcha I ran into a few weeks ago, where the LANG environment variable has to be set to C when compiling and running Java. Unfortunately, changing this breaks other things in RedHat (desktop icons, etc.), so I ended up renaming java and javac and making bash script wrappers for them that set LANG=C.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. At U2 support's suggestion I set LANG=en_US.iso885915. I changed the LANG variable setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n on both the WebSphere app server and the UV server, then rebooted both. That took care of the problem.

-John