As Robert says, the euro symbol has no asci value.  Various encodings give
it different characters, but this depends on your client.  You can certainly
store char(128) for Windows-1252 or char(164) for ISO-8859-15 in ud 5.2.

I think the only change added at ud 6 was a CONVERT_EURO udtconfig option
allowing char(128) to be converted to char(164) and vica versa - maybe
someone else can confirm or deny that.  If so, then you won't gain much by
upgrading.

Simon

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]