-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Martin Phillips
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 3:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] File Types...

Just to extend Ray's reply....

Pattern templates can also include an extremely useful construct to allow a
range of numbers of characters.  This is specified as, for example, "4-7N"
for between 4 and 7 numeric characters.  As far as I am aware this is not
documented anywhere in the UniVerse manuals or help text.  Like the rest of
pattern matching, it came from Prime Information and somehow got missed in
writing the manuals.

So, the complete set is:
    nA   exactly n alphabetic characters
    n-mA  between n and m alphabetic characters
    0A   any number (including zero) of alphabetic characters
    nN   exactly n numeric characters
    n-mN  between n and m numeric characters
    0N   any number (including zero) of numeric characters
    nX   exactly n characters of any type
    n-mX  between n and m characters of any type
    0X   any number of characters of any type
   'text' literal text

I would hate to be without this extra construct as it considerably
simplifies many operations.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200