I don't think there's a way to do that with a subroutine. What we
regularly do here is use input statements and pass the answers in DATA
statements. I know that's not the answer you want, so consider this:

get(arg.,1)VAR
if VAR = '' then
  input VAR
end

To pass more than one commandline variable, increment the 1 by 1 for each
additional commandline variable passed. Your commandline for the above
example would like like:

RUN BP PRG VARDATA

where VARDATA would fill the VARiable. Just a bit of for-what-it's-worth
and hopefully it'll help.

Karl