-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Johnson
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 8:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [U2] [UD] running a subroutine

I could write a book on that topic. I have around 9-12 clients in MV (and 3
in MS Access) and the 'eat when you work' aspect is very true. I'm making
more $ than when I worked full-time at a 100 user MCD end user 13 years ago.
But I'm also working much harder and more concentratedly being under the
magnifying glass of these many clients. Factoring in paying for my own
health care, zero vacation/sick days and the other financial aspects of it,
it is like two jobs.

I get the jitters when I have one or 2 days in a quarter that i don't have
booked. I can't imagine being a full-time contract programmer (8hrs x 5 days
x 12 weeks) and then bam, cold turkey having to get the next assignment. I
guess my diversity allows me to ebb & flo with the separate biorhythms of my
client's business cycles. Some are up while others are down. It's very busy
when they all are up and I want to hang myself when they all are down. One
would need a strong stomach to endure this environment.

It's like a lot of businesses. You should lot live too large when the times
are high because there will be lean times. Farmers, Ice Cream people, Santa
Claus and others endure this uneven business cycle.

My 1 cent.