Wendy Smoak

> You're right-- the problem we see occurs when the value that changed is
> in another _file_ not another field.  So a trans that pulls a field from
> another file, for example, won't get updated.

Here's an idea that I haven't actually tried, but it sure seems like it
should work:

You have two related files - say ORDERS and CUSTOMERS. You want any change
to CUSTOMERS name to be reflected in the ORDERS file's CUSTOMER.NAME index.

First index the customer number in the ORDERS file. Add date & time
fields to ORDERS. Then put a trigger on CUSTOMERS. The trigger routine
uses the customer number index on ORDERS to determine which orders belong
to the customer being updated. Using this info, the trigger stamps those
ORDERS items with the date & time of the customer update. Now because the
appropriate ORDERS items are being updated, their indices will all be
re-evaluated and if the customer name has changed, the CUSTOMER.NAME
index will be updated.