Mark, In addition to making sure you UCLOSE the file, I've found that VB
code will sometimes trip on the UOPEN lock that mvBASE has asserted, where
a utility written in C++ or other language may not.  It may depend on how
the file is being opened.  Try to copy (not move) the file with some
intermediate process, and then open it with your target application.

You do not want to use host OS files as a buffer between mvBASE and Windows
apps.  That is: Write 10 lines of data into a file, UCLOSE, open/read with
Windows, Close, attempt to UOPEN again with mvBASE...  I can tell you that
the code to do this is _significant_ and I may be willing to sell the code
to someone suicidal enough to do this, but I highly recommend against it
because even a carefully crafted, "works almost all the time" solution
doesn't guarantee success.  As a hint to the complexity, _if_ Windows
doesn't trip on the lock, it will read whatever is in the file at the
moment of the read.  There is no such thing as a READU here, so if mvBASE
is writing the data as Windows is reading it, you will get partially
updated data - and this must be accommodated programmatically.  The same
thing happens if you UREAD a record that's being written from Windows.

Recommendations:
1) If you're trying to use modern functions, don't use a 20+ year old
database that was ported with few changes to run over Windows
(R83>ADDS>mvBASE).  It may be time for your client to migrate.
2) Check with me or someone else about alternatives to your approach.  I
can tell you now this one would have to be on the clock.
3) Post inquiries for RD products on the RD web site or in CDP.  I
understand there are a lot of reformed ex-RD'ers in this forum but it makes
no sense to post these product inquiries here and not in the forums where
mvBASE people actually do hang out.  Now that I think about it, I think I
_did_ post a thread about exactly this situation in the RD forum.

HTH,
Tony Gravagno (former mvBASE Product Manager, but it wasn't my fault!)
Nebula R&D
[EMAIL PROTECTED]